Did you know that out of all the muscles in the body, the muscles that control your eyes are the most active? We blink an average of 12 times each minute! The eye area is the first place to show signs of aging, but not only that – the eyes are the window of the soul, as they show other people how we are feeling. Let’s face it – the eyes are on their “A game” 24/7 and cannot be bothered with unwanted puffiness!
Puffy eyes can be caused by a variety of culprits:
- Lack of sleep
- Water retention
- Too much salt
- Too much sun exposure
- Fluctuating hormone levels
- Over-use of heavy products – which is one of the most popular we see in the industry
The skin around the orbital area is approximately 30 times thinner than on the upper cheek. Treat your eyes like a queen and don’t abuse them with heavy or irritating products!
Tips for Preventing Puffy Eyes
- Sleep. Balance in sleep is key. Too little sleep can lead to bags under the yes, while too much can cause puffiness or swelling in the eye area. Strive to get 8 hours of sleep nightly, and regularly. Making up for 4 hours sleep one night by having 11 hours the next will not cure this problem, but most likely add to it. Sleep is not a savings bank!
- Water. While puffiness can be mistaken as a sign of too much water in the body, it is actually caused from the body retaining (or holding onto) water when there is not enough to be flushed through. If you’re battling puffy eyes, drink plenty of water each day until you feel like you are a water fountain! The puffiness will reduce rapidly.
- Salt. Diets high in salt will cause eye puffiness due to assisting the lack of water explained above. Salt in the diet will act like a diuretic and dehydrate so watch those sodium levels!
- Piano Fingers. When we teach our PRIORI® signature facial massages, we use a tapping technique that is similar playing the piano all around the eyes. We teach clients to do this twice daily to help detoxify and assist fluid away from the eyes. This mini-massage can be easily performed as you’re applying eye cream or serum.
- Cold Compresses. PRIORI® eye treatments utilize cold compresses, and this an inexpensive, yet effective way, to combat puffy eyes at home! The cold constricts the tiny blood vessels, reducing puffiness considerably. Make your own cold compresses by soaking several cotton pads in icy cold water; while lying down, place them over your eyes for 10 minutes. Securing them with a Velcro headband will hold the compresses closer to your skin, making this treatment even more effective.
- Product. CoffeeBerry® Radiance Eye Serum is terrific for reducing puffy eyes! It contains egg whites for instant tightening gratification, as well as a unique ingredient mix that has been shown to improve puffiness and skin tightening over time. Radiance Eye Serum also contains Oxido Reductases, an ingredient shown to reduce darkness, which can worsen with puffiness. Store Radiance Eye Serum in the refrigerator, as applying it cold using “piano fingers” around the entire eye socket will help to dramatically tighten the skin.
- Less is More. Over-using eye products is a common mistake and using more will not clear the problem faster. Since skin in the eye area much thinner, eye products should be used sparingly; the size of a pea the maximum to use for BOTH eyes. Never use heavier products, such as those designed for night use, around the eye area, as tends to cause even more puffiness.
De-puff in the twinkling of an eye… Here’s looking at you!